Today was another relaxing day spent trying to get me better for the week! I guess the cold meds kept me up or something because I couldn't get to sleep until 3AM last night, and then had to wake up at 9:30 to get to class. Waking up was SO difficult, ugh. Particularly since it was windy and pouring rain outside. Not a good motivator. But I had to go to my seminar today, since I actually get graded somewhat on attendance and I had also actually done my reading and such, so I hauled myself out of bed to go to school. The walk to school was wet, but thankfully I actually FOUND my seminar this time.
Oh! I totally forgot to relay that story from last week - so last Tuesday was the first day of my Seminar, and it's in "Tower 1, Room 302." So I wander and wander and wander and I can't freaking find Tower 1! So I eventually find these stairs that lead to Tower 2 and I'm thinking well hey, this should work...because by that point I was just searching for any form of tower. And when I got up there, I asked this girl (Caroline) if she was waiting for my seminar and she said yes. She said that the sheet said Tower 1 but she was sure there weren't any classrooms in there and it must have been a misprint. I nod along and we wait in this room for awhile...just as we're about to leave to go see if there ARE in fact classrooms in Tower 1, this other girl (Maura) shows up for the same class. She says that she asked the secretary at the English department and she said to go over here. We wait awhile...but by 11:30 (was supposed to start at 11) it becomes evident that we are most likely in the wrong place. So we go back down to the English department secretary (the same girl that had told Maura to go to Tower 2) and she tells us that we need to go down a floor (the English department IS in Tower 1) and the classroom is there. GREAT.
Thank God they showed me to the English department because seriously! It (And Tower 1) are not labelled at ALL! There's a vague sign that says Tower 1 - but it could point to 2 theatres, a giant hallway, OR these tiny double doors off to the side that are unlabelled. Oh yes, because it's intutive to go through the tiny unlabelled doors to find Tower 1. WTF?!
Anyway, we got there 35 minutes late and it was way awkward because it's this tiny room and we had to climb over desks to get to the other side of the room to where the empty chairs were. Luckily the teacher was nice and we didn't miss too much since it was the first day. Phew.
So anyway, back to today. Basically, I kicked some serious butt in my seminar because it's a second year seminar, and apparently none of the Irish students have been taught to read Middle English at all. Beforehand they were all complaining about how completely lost they were...and I mean, I definitely felt lost at times too, but I got the general gist. So when the teacher was asking questions, me and the two other visiting students (I think they're American) were really the only ones to answer. I think 2 Irish girls answered 3 questions during the whole 2 hours...yeeaah. Sad part was though, that even though I woke up with no sore throat, I had more phlegm and coughing, and when I tried to speak the first time my voice totally croaked awkwardly. Woot. I spent the rest of class participating in an awkward, raspy whisper, but participating nonetheless.
Afterwards I rechecked out my book (checking out my book for my seminar from the library since it costs 30 euros and is HUGE) and had lunch by myself at the college cafeteria thing, which was INSANE because of the rain. Then I headed back home and have been relaxing ever since. Took a 2 1/2 hour nap which was nice. It was a fairly miserable day so I'm happy to be inside as the wind is howling away out there. Man, up in the tower the wind really rattles the windows and sometimes shakes the room. Eep.
Anyway, that's the update...hopefully I'll be pretty good tomorrow so I can enjoy the potluck dinner I'm going to, woohoo. Lunch with Josh tomorrow and then shopping, cooking, and then potluck with cool people haha yaaay.
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment