Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Ah the weather...

Today has been a lovely day, lots of weather changes per the usual. I woke up early (haha and by early I mean 10AM because I couldn't fall asleep until 3AM) and went to go on the tour of the university. Met up with Anne, Amanda, and Astrid for the tour, which turned out to be pretty useless because there were tons of people and two very quiet tour guides who wouldn't speak up. So basically we couldn't hear anything the whole time and spent most of the time lamenting that fact as well as talking and meeting other people. That was nice to meet some other international students...there are so many! And this was only the first tour out of 3 that day. Met a nice girl from Kentucky, Astrid met a classmate from Belgium, and I met this guy from Mexico who is majoring in English and French! So crazy.

Aftewards, the four of us went to go grab lunch at the cafe. It was not very healthy (a fried chicken sandwich and fries) but the chicken was at least good. The fries, eeh not so much...tasted like they had been fried in bad oil or something, yuck. Ran into Annie from USC in the bathroom at the cafe and she is staying at Niland House, where I might have stayed, but have decided to stay with Mary because she is so sweet, makes great food (she cooks simple food because she has an ulcer - perfectly fits with me!!), and cancelled other people to keep my room for me. Only issue is not having the internet there...I may talk to her about getting it there if I pay for it for the 4 months...we'll see how it goes having wireless at the university tomorrow or Friday. I'm going crazy not having Internet at night...it means that I have nothing to do at nights currently (I will no worries, but for these first few days at least) which has led me to organize my room 3 times, do my accounting every night, and watch lots of TV. Siigh. What is the world coming to...me being responsible?!

Anyways, after lunch we went into the city center because the girls had a few errands to run. So we ran errands together, and split up at one point and Amanda and I walked down one of the adorable cobblestone streets with no cars and tons of cute shops and cafes. Then we met up with Astrid and Anne and went to go get some coffee. At least they did...coffee and hot chocolate, and we just sat and talked. Once we left, Amanda went to try and use the pay phone again to call her family, but they couldn't hear her for some reason and she was frustrated. I'm glad at least that Mary let's me use her phone to call home if I need it, since my Irish cell phone is currently not working (aarg) because for some reason there is an issue with the unlocking. Bleh. Oh well, hopefully that will be resolved soon.

It's POURING rain (or at least it was 5 seconds ago...now it is bright and sunny again and will probably rain again in 10 minutes) so I came back into the internet cafe to hide haha. It's fairly cheap here anyway, compared to other places, 4 Euros for 2 hours...not too bad. The other girls went home to their respective apartments because we are all still so tired/tired of walking with huge backpacks on/jetlagged! I'm sure soon we'll be meeting up and hanging out in each other's apartments, but for now it's a bit too far/too soon to be doing that I think. So I'm going to hang out here for a little while and enjoy the internet, and then head home for a relaxing evening while I still have time to relax.

Early morning tomorrow (8:30AM hahaha aah hopefully I can go to sleep earlier than 3AM...) and orientation starts at 9:30 woot! Then things will really get rolling. But I'm really loving it so far, even with the random weather, and I know it can only get better!

No comments: